The Dawn Patrol is a mid-range series of surf wetsuits by Rip Curl. There is a large variety of suits for everyone out there, in different sizes and designs, those suits have been used all around the world by many surfers for a good reason. There’s unparalleled value which makes them so popular.
Performance – Value – Durability
↓ ↓ ↓
ABOUT RIP CURL & DAWN PATROL: Rip Curl is successful surf wear and gear brand, and their mid-range model Dawn Patrol is very well known by surfers of all skill levels around the world. The Dawn Patrol surf wetsuit has a great variety of types for everyone out there, at an affordable price tag!
- Thickness: 5/4, 5/3, 4/3, 3/2, 2mm, 1.5mm
- Types: Shorty, Long-Sleeve Shorty, Long John, Short John, Top, Long-Sleeve Rashie, Beanie, Shorts
- Price: Averaging from $70 to $220
- Rip Curl Wetsuits Ranking: 2/4
What is the difference between the Performance and standard Dawn Patrol? The Performance models are taped in high-stress areas
What is the difference between the E4 and E5 Rip Curl Neoprene? The E5 is 10% warmer, 20% lighter and 30% stretchier than the E4
Total Score: 4.4/5
Rip Curl Dawn Patrol Review
Performance and warmth along with durability and great value! The Dawn Patrol has many of the high ends features that are also used on their top-range wetsuits
SPECS & FEATURES
- E5 neoprene – high stretch and durable. E5 has 30% more stretch factor compared to the E4
- E5 Flash lining
- E5 tape
- E4 thermal lining
- GBS seams – Glued & Blindstitched Seams
- Internal key pocket
- Durable S-Flex knee pads
WASHING INSTRUCTIONS: Rinse with cool water and drip dry out of direct sunlight
Want your wetsuit to last longer? Check out our Wetsuit Care Guide.
- Warning from their Web Page: This product can expose you to chemicals including chloroprene, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go to p65warnings.ca.gov
Dawn Patrol offers super good quality and warm wetsuits at an affordable price tag. The series has all the wetsuit types represented for everyone. The suits look neat and are indeed quite durable and warm. It is an ideal choice for any other water-related activity as well such as kayaking, snorkeling, swimming, freediving, spearfishing, and so on. Dawn Patrol allows the youth to get into the cold water surfing safely as there are many models for boys and girls. The feedback on Amazon is also very good!
I have used the 5/3 while surfing in New Zealand, Spain, and been freediving with the suit well below its recommendation temperatures, and I must say that the suit is indeed super warm, easy to get in, and doesn’t cost a fortune! My 5/3 chest-zip won’t get wet inside the suit, too!
How To Choose
- TYPE – Determine which type of wetsuit do you need: Chest/Back-zip, short sleeve or a full wetsuit.
- THICKNESS – Choose the right thickness for the season.
- SIZE – Make sure you get exactly the right size. When you have to choose between two sizes – The weight is more important than the height.
Thickness Recommendation Chart
Shop Dawn Patrol for Men on AMAZON
5/4 Hooded Full Wetsuit Chest Zip
Rip Curl Men’s Wetsuit Size Chart
Metric / Imperial
167,5cm to 193cm / 54.5kg to 113.5kg
5’6″ to 6’4″ / 120lbs to 250lbs
Shop Rip Curl Dawn Patrol for Women
5/3 Full Wetsuit Back Zip
Rip Curl Women’s Wetsuit Size Chart
Metric / Imperial
152.5cm to 180.5cm / 5’0″ to 5’11”
45.5kg to 72.5kg / 100lbs – 160lbs
Dawn Patrol for Youth
3/2 Full Wetsuit Back Zip