Choosing the right pair of wetsuit boots for surfing increases your overall comfort and performance. The right type and thickness booties make a whole lot of difference compared to any pair of random noname slippery wetsuit socks.
Surf wetsuits boots increase the grip on your board, and help a ton when going in/out on rocky point breaks. In some places, reef boots are a MUST if you don’t want to ruin your holiday because of a small infection!
As your feet are submerged most of the time on a regular surf session, surfing without the booties in a cold water slowly loses your body temperature which will eventually shorten the over-all time spent in the water.
How To Choose Wetsuit Boots?
- Split Toe Wetsuit Boots – A wetsuit boot where the largest toe is separated from the rest of the toes for better space, balance and control.
The closed-toe section prevents the leash from tangling between the toes!
- Round Toe Wetsuit Boots – Classic wetsuit boots that don’t have the toes separated. Known for better warmth and protection.
- Reef Boots – Designed with a rugged sole, ranging from 1-2mm. The main point is to protect the soles from sharp coral, rocky bottom and even the stingrays.
Split Toe or Round Toe Wetsuit Boots? It all comes to a personal preference. If you are not a fan of split-toe socks/shoes, round toe boots suit you better. Split Toe boots are also better for taller/larger surfers with small/medium feet, or for anyone who’d like that extra stance. Some say that the split toe gets you as close to barefoot as possible. I personally recommend trying both options for best preference.
Wetsuit Boots vs Socks – In other words – Rugged Sole vs the Standard Sole Wetsuit Boots. Cheaper wetsuit boots are made of light neoprene that won’t take as much beating such as walking on rocks or the reef. Softer wetsuit boot soles have a better feel on the board while rugged wetsuit boots are definitely better when you are not only surfing on beach breakes. Also, using diving wetsuit’s socks is not your best bet since they simply slide through on the board when turning on waves. Wetsuit boots are sometimes confused with “wet socks“, which are actually bodyboarding fin socks and NOT SUITABLE FOR SURFING.
Straps – Helps to pull the boot up into the arc of your foot which minimizes the boot being loose.
Stitchings – Flatlock – Cheapest, easiest. Lets the water sweep in. Blindstitched / Glued – Won’t let the water sweep in through the stitchings, only through the neoprene.
WETSUIT BOOT SIZE GUIDE
What size wetsuit boots should I buy? It’s a topic that gives hard time for online stores. As each brand has their own sizing chart to refer to, that is true 90% of the time, there are still variations. Make sure to check the right size accordingly! Wetsuits boots are not your everyday boots, where you can go for a little extra. When surfing in cold water, your feet will decrease a bit, unlike when running, where the size your your feet increases.
How Should Wetsuit Boots Fit? As you’ll be spending hours in the boots, they must feel comfortable. Not too small or big. The right wetsuit boots should fit snoug around the heel and ankle. Any excess room will let the water sweep in.
Too Small – Cuts off the circulation, makes it uncomfortable to move in.
Too Big – Slip through , make you trip over.
Which are THE BEST surf booties? It is individual regards the occasion. What might feel best to one, is over-engineered to other occasion.
1. Roll up the ankles
2. Put on the wetsuit boots
3. Roll down the wetsuit over the wetsuit socks/boots.
Don’t put on the wetsuit boots before getting in the suit since that extra layer can and will make it harder for safe and smooth entry!
How To Put On Wetsuit Boots? Most surf boots without the zipper are hard to put on. The easiest way is to scroll the boot so that you could enter the toes first, then carefully fold the heel over and then make the final adjustments. DO NOT pull too hard from the back of the boot as the stitching don’t like to be ripped! It doesn’t really matter if the boots are wet or dry when chucking them on, and by getting in the boots on dry land you can wipe off the sand beforehand. It’s obviously a harder task in the moving water.
How To Dry Wetsuit Boots? Same as the rest of the wetsuit, gloves and hood. Simply place them preferrably upside down after rinsing and soaking so that the water gets of the boots. Bootie juice has the worst smell of all wetsuits since everything that gets washed down the suit ends up in the boots! No worries – it’s part of the game.
Why Surfers Don’t Like To Wear Wetsuit Boots? Most surfers say that booties are like condoms that ruin the flow. Barefoot surfing gives that intimate contact needed to feel the board. Although, once you find most suitable booties, it basically feels like the closest thing to NOT having booties on.
Where Else Can I Use The Wetsuit Booties? As those boots are designed for water sports – they are great for wakeboarding, kiteboarding, windsurfing, canoeing, kayaking, cliff diving and so on.
Best Surf Reef Boots
O’Neill SUPERFREAK Reef Boots
Tropical Split Toe Booties
- Sizes: 5-14
- Thickness: 2mm
- Mid/Low-top type
- Fluid Foam neoprene
- Torsion control front strap
- Textured rubber sole
- Drawstring closure
- Adjustable hook
- Front loop strap
- Deep Split Toe design
Technical land- or sea walkers – those deep split toe reef boots offer proper balance and easy on-and off. The Fluid foam exterior with a solid rubber sole is right about enough to keep your feet protected and comfortable. As these boots are low-top type – they might collect some water in the boot so it is advisable to raise your feet above the water when paddling to get rid of it.
XCel INFINITI UNISEX Split Toe Reef Boots Review
Best Price To Quality surf reef boots on the market!
- Sizes: 5-13
- Thickness: 1mm
- Mid-top type
- Velcro Adjustable Strap on the front
- Draw string closure around the ankle
- Durable sole with greap grip
- Available in 2 colors
- Minimal feel
Available on AMAZON
O’Neill REACTOR 2 Reef Boots Review
The Cheapest Surf Reef boots by a known surf brand!Features
- Sizes: 5-14
- 2mm neoprene
- Low top design
- 2 designs
- Durable Textured Rubber Sole
- Fluid Foam Neoprene
- Flat Stitch Construction
- Round Toe. Snuggle fit.
Available on AMAZON
BEST SPLIT-TOE BOOTS
O’Neill HEAT Split Toe Boots ReviewFeatures
- Available thicknesses: 3 / 5
- Available sizes: 5-15
- FluidFlex Split Toe
- Interior taped seams
- Anti-flush Shin Strap
- Forefoot Strap
- Glued & Blindstitched seams
- Price: 50-70 USD
XCel INFINITI Split Toe Boots
- Sizes 5-13
- Engineered design for a comfortable contoured fit.
- Plush Thermo Lite interior with Taped seams and quick dry fibers to stay drier.
- Pulll up ankle loop for easy entry.
- Single rubber bottom construction for durability and board feel
- TAPED SEAMS = DURABILITY
- PULL UP ANKLE LOOP = EASY ENTRY
- SINGLE RUBBER BOTTOM = BOARD FEEL
- QUICK-DRY FIBERS – STAYS DRIER
- ENGINEERED DESIGN = CONTOURED FIT
- Pressure Bonded Back Ankle Pull Loop
The most durable construction for keeping the pull loop attached to the boot. Pressure bonding also means a more watertight construction, since it requires no stitching that would otherwise penetrate the neoprene and let water in.
Glued and Bindstitched
- A fully sealed, maximum stretch seam construction. Neoprene panels are glued and pressed together, then blindstitched (needle doesn’t fully penetrate neoprene, keeping more water out).
Quick Dry Lining
- Fast drying, lightweight, and naturally hydrophobic, this premium inner lining has an accelerated drying time to improve warmth and overall performance; Quick Dry Lining is also made from recycled polyester fibers for an earth-friendlier final product.
- Xcel uses earth-minded limestone to replace processed petrochemicals in our neoprene, reducing dependence on petroleum and the harmful practice of processing it.
Water Based Glue
- Xcel Turned solvent-based laminating glue into water-based glue, eliminating harmful, volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
O’Neill NINJA Booties Review
A great choice for all-year-round surfer who’s after the best feel of the board
- Sizes: 6-13
- Thicknesses: 3 / 5 / 7
- FluidFlex and Krypto forefoot
- Ultra Minimal design
- Anti-flush Shin strap
- Durable Foxing sole
- Glued and Blindstitch seam construction
Available on AMAZON
Best ROUND TOE Surf Booties
O’Neill PSYCHO TECH Round Toe Booties
Ultimate warmth & comfortFeatures
- Sizes: 7-14
- Techno Butter 3 Neoprene
- Round-toe design offers additional warmth component
- O-ring Seal creates complete closure, while also allows ease of entry and exit
- Exterior Seams Are Fluid-Seam-Welded And Interior Is TB3X Taped For Increased Durability And Longevit
- Pull-on strap
- Velcro strap
- Toughened edges and nose
Available on AMAZON
Rip Curl FLASH BOMB
- Sizes: 5-13 Depending on thickness
- Thickness: 5 / 7
- 8mm thick Sole on 7mm boots
- E5 FLASH LINING designed to increase warmth without adding extra weight
- SLIDE ON SYSTEM: Easy on and off to save more time for the waves. Supersoft, thin sole for a lightweight, aerodynamic grip. With a pull on heal strap to secure and align with your Rip Curl Flashbomb wetsuit
- SECURE CLOSURE: Velcro shaft closure for easy seamless on and off. The E5 flash lining tape keeps the cold water out and improves mobility. Stitchless compression strap to keep your feet sealed and lightweight for maximum performance when surfing
- ODOR REDUCING anti stink treatment to reduce odor caused by bacteria. No bad smells left behind in your surf backpack, car, or truck
I’ll add more boots as soon as I find decent deals with decent size availability!