Surfing, compared to any other sport out there is very simple – All you need is a surfboard and a wetsuit.
If you happen to live close by the beach and prefer to live a simple life – you are among the few lucky ones. Most of us have to drive down the beach, worry about parking spots, and our valuables, while cycling or walking down the beach seems to be the stress-free alternative.
Cycling to the beach works as a slight warm-up before an enduring surf session. After all, our legs don’t get too much of a workout in the waves anyway, so a cycling is a great alternative reaching the destination!
Anyway, if you are fortunate enough to have the opportunity to cycle down the beach with a surfboard, there’s no way you haven’t thought about getting a surfboard bike rack! Surfboard bike racks are a priceless investment towards comfort and convenience.
Reasons NOT TO cycle down to the beach with a surfboard tucked under your shoulder:
- Not good for the spine
- Unsafe when you have to steer with one hand and hold a 5ft+ board on your other hand
Which Is The Best Bike To Carry A Surfboard?
Any type of bicycle is fine to haul a surfboard, although you’ll often see beach cruiser bicycles being used as they are super comfortable to ride on.
What To Avoid?
- Titanium or Carbon fiber seat posts should not be used with surfboard racks that attach around the seat post
- Place the surfboard so that the fins would face inwards
- Overtightening the nuts – Allen screws only need a wrist/finger tightening
- Cycling through crowded areas with a surfboard
Shortboard bicycle racks
Longboard bicycle racks
SUP bicycle carriers
Scooter surfboard racks
Yeah, Nah, Yeah – Now, can we check out the variety of best surfboard bicycle racks for a convenient and emission-free commute?
↓ ↓ ↓
Shortboard Surfboard Bicycle Racks
Moved By Bikes (MBB) – Shortboard Surfboard Bicycle Rack
MSRP $105 Amazon.com
Score: 4.5 / 5 out of 34+ ratings
- Tool-free quick release bars
- Quick and easy seat post mounting
- For surfboards up to 7′
A simple yet somewhat bulletproof option that’s easy to install and use on any bicycle. The good part is that you don’t need to have any bicycle racks to set it up or special tools or knowledge to get it going. What you would want to get as an extra would be a pair of bungee cord hook straps to get a snug fit!
Carver Surfboard Bike Rack – Shortboard
MSRP $165 Amazon.com
Score 4.5 / 5 out of 60+ ratings
- Holds up a surfboard up to 8ft
- Made of non-rust material – Aluminum
- Fits on any regular size bike seat post-25mm-32mm in width
Another popular choice that’s easy to mount and use. The integrated bungee cord straps and the wide-angle allows using rather large boards safely. The padded hooks also prevent the board from getting scratched against the rust-free aluminum!
Ho Stevie! – Surfboard Bike Rack
Rating: 4.5 / 5 out of 124+ ratings
Ho Stevie! Is a brand that truly cares about the surfers by producing a wide variety of really useful accessories, and this is one of their simple yet really useful surfboard bike racks. There’s plenty of adjustments to be made to get the best fit, or even turn the inwards when not in use! You can’t really go wrong with this deal when looking at the number of ratings and feedback on this deal!
- Adjustable carrier arm height
- Integrated bungee cords for maximum stability
- Rotatable arms when not in use
- Installed with 1 tool – Allen key only (Included)
Onefeng Sports – Surfboard Bike Rack
Score: 4 / 5 out of 15+ ratings
Another great solution that allows you to get to the beach with zero-emissions and a warmed-up body. Onefeng as a brand might not be the first thing to pop on your head when thinking of surf gear, but this has proven to be a great way for surfers to
- Made of sturdy aluminum construction that won’t rust or corrode
- Simple installation that clamps to the seat post 25mm to 32mm thick
- Foam covered arms prevent dings or scratches on your surfboard
- Fits surfboards up to 8′.
COR Surf Shortboard Bike Carrier Rack
MSRP $100 Amazon.com
This is a lightweight surfboard bicycle rack for shortboards that’s got extra thick padded hooks and bright colors for others to see. COR is a name in the surf and paddleboard game that has proved to be trustworthy and this is their yet another awesome accessory!
- Made from rust-proof lightweight 6061 aluminum and stainless steel
- Green foam padding for added safety
- 5mm Hex key included
- Carries shorter boards up to 8 feet, up to 4.5″ thick
- Adjustable-length arms fit most bikes
- 25kg/55lb capacity
- Integrated bungee cords to tighten the board
Longboard bike racks
Electra – Longboard Surf Bike Rack
MSRP $140 REI.com
Fits up to 26″ wheel bikes, so most beach cruiser bikes are compatible with this rack. Weighing 7lbs with a max load capacity of 55lbs, this is one of the more advanced options to choose from.
- Max weight: 55lbs
- Max recommended length: 10ft
- Fits up to 26″ wheel bikes
Moved By Bikes – MBB Longboard Rack
MSRP $130 Amazon.com
4.5 / 5 out of 130+ ratings
Easily mounted, adjusted, and removed with a simple push of a button. Stable frame mounting that works with longboards and lighter Stand Up Paddleboards as well.
- Best for Longboards, Lighter paddleboards
- Max board length: Up to 12 feet
- Connections – Bicycle’s head tube and seat post
Carver Surf Rack – CSR Max for Longboards
MSRP $140 Amazon.com
Score: 4 / 5 out of 62+ ratings
Check out this review down below to get the best idea of what to expect. The span between the racks doesn’t seem to be overly large, but it is that’s what it is built for after all.
SUP MULE Transport System
MSRP $130 Stand On Liquid
Your shortboard, longboard, and SUP become a trailer that allows you to walk or pull it behind your bicycle. The STS MULE is a new and unique way to transport your board(s) and ALL your gear to the break or waters edge in one effortless trip.
- Breaks down and sets up within seconds
- Packs in 12″ x 28″ x 3″ travel bag included
- No hardware nor tools needed
- Hands-free controlled ride with little or no wind resistance
- Universal tailpiece
- Adjustable nose piece has a handle strap and a pocket for wax, leash, and personal items
- Tube tires with plastic mag wheels and quick release pins
Wheeleez Stand Up Paddle Board Cart – Single
MSRP $129 REI.com
A convenient way to transport your heavy and/or bulky SUP to the waterline. Folds flat for transportation
- 2x 10ft tie-down straps included
- Max weight capacity: 100lbs
Surfboard Scooter Racks
Carver CSR Scooter Surf Rack (Moped)
MSRP $110 Amazon.com
Score: 4 / 5 out of 40+ ratings
A great choice for mopeds and dirtbikes which have the rear ‘rest’. What some people have done is that they’ve installed an independent rack on the front-end of the ‘legroom’
- Mounts to mopeds and scooters
- Tig welded 6061 Alloy
- No Rust
- Fits small and larger boards