Long John, also known as the farmer john wetsuits are preferred due to their awesome mixture of warming and cool-down capabilities alike. Generally ranging from 3/2-2mm in thickness, there’s quite a variety to choose from from the most known surf wetsuit brands.
- Long John Wetsuit = Sleeveless long-leg surf springsuit for men
Short John wetsuits are ideal for summer and warm-water use. They protect the core of your body while providing warmth to an essential degree.
- Short John Wetsuit – Sleeveless short-leg surf springsuit for men
Surfing / Diving / Snorkeling / Paddleboarding / Jet-skiing
Best Shorty Wetsuit Brands
The best surf wetsuit brands are known to be: Rip Curl, Billabong, Quiksilver, O’Neill, Patagonia, Xcel, Vissla, Hurley and so on.
How to Choose?
- Size – Choose by the weight first, then the height. The wetsuit has to fit snug, not too tight.
- Type – Short john / long john
- Model – Brand / model
Check out each brand’s size chart to get the best fitment for you. If you didn’t find a size chart – check out our 7-wetsuit brands’ size charts
Related: Best Women’s Short Wetsuits
best LONG JOHN surf wetsuits
O’NEILL – Reactor 2
1.5mm / Front-zip / Best for: 70’F (20’C) and up
What makes the Reactor 2 so popular among surfers is that O’Neill produces the widest range of sizes for their wetsuits compared to any other brand.
The Reactor 2 series is by far one of the best value wetsuits, and this 1.5mm farmer john is a perfect example of that. Ideal for warm waters, you can easily extend the use and carry-on this suit to colder weather by using the Reactor long-sleeve jacket.
- Long front zipper – Sturdy build with easy on and off use
- UltraFlex neoprene – Great flexibility and warmth
- Sleeveless design – Offers maximum flexibility and totally restriction-free paddling
- Flatlock seam construction – for durability and comfort, a must-have for any decent surf wetsuit
NEOSPORT – Waterman
3mm long john / Back-zip
The NeoSport ‘Waterman’ sleeveless wetsuits come in various thicknesses – 3, 5, and up to 7mm. It’s a decent wetsuit under the 100-dollar line which can be used for any water activity out there such as – jet skiing, kite- or windsurfing, paddle boarding – you name it.
- Neoprene – Made for diving, snorkeling, scuba, wakeboarding, kayaking, canoeing, and other water sports
- Spot taped at stress points
- Flatlock seams – provide a smooth interior and exterior surface for maximum comfort and durability
- Diamond plate knee pads
- Internal key pocket
- Lycra trimmed wrist and ankle seals
STOHLQUIST – Storm John
3mm long john / front-zip
Score: 4/5 out of 18+ reviewers. Easy on and off, thick 3mm neoprene with strengthened knees and softened seating. Not sure how great is it for surfing, but it sure does a great job in and around the water. Stohlquist recommends this wetsuit to be a perfect choice for rental companies as the sizes are also color-coded. So, whenever you are looking for a durable and warm long john wetsuit, there you have it!
- 3mm standard neoprene
- Flat-lock seams – comfort & durability
- YKK zipper with elastic zipper lock
- SupraTex knees and bottom for added durability and abrasion resistance
- U-shaped cuff openings for easier donning/doffing
XCEL – Axis
2mm long john / Back-zip
What’s great about the Xcel Axis is that it’s super lightweight and made by a brand that makes wetsuits only!
You heard it right, it’s hard to go wrong with a brand that has mastered the art of producing top-of-the-line cold water wetsuits. The Xcel Axis 2mm long john surf wetsuit has got the features borrowed from many other high-end wetsuits and blended into their warm-water surf wetsuit line-up. Definitely worth consideration!
- 100% UltraStretch neoprene
- Short back zipper – easy on and off
- Well-designed armholes with inner SmoothSkin hem seals to minimize chafing
- Should fit snug, but not too tight
- Flexible DuraFlex knee panels
- Comfortable flatlock seams
- Lightweight neoprene
- Designed for flexibility
BILLABONG – 202 Revolution Pump’d Smooth Skin
Zipless / 1mm / Best for – 72’F-77’F (22’C – 25’C)
Super lightweight and flexible – the 1mm surf wetsuit is really a ‘layer’ you are looking for to protect yourself from the burning sun, wipeouts, or the jellyfish.
No zip – no problem. Entering the wetsuit is done by removing the shoulder pad.
- Premium Glide-Skin Superflex neoprene
- Glued and Blindstitched Sealed Seams
- YKK front zip
- Internal zig-zag sublimation
- Temp. Guide: Warm 72°F – 77°F
best SHORT JOHN wetsuits
O’NEILL – O’Riginal
2mm short john / Back-zip
Great wetsuit for warmer waters where you’d crave that little bit of warmth savings. Amazon’s best-seller! It’s got everything you could ask for when in a need for a warm/tropical weather wetsuit.
- 2mm Fluid Foam body, 1.5mm lightweight FluidFlex legs
- GBS seams
- Extended zipper pull tab
- Seamless lumbar design
- 100% nylon bonded to neoprene
RIP CURL – Aggrolite
2mm short john / Back-zip
Simple and stretchy, you can easily trust your money on Rip Curl when it comes to surf wetsuits. The brand has mastered manufacturing a fine set of cold water wetsuit, so their Aggrolite is a definite go!
- Should fit snug, but not too tight
- E4 Neoprene
- Freeflex Neoprene
- E stitch seams
- Mesh leg seals
XCEL – Axis Zipperless
2mm short john / Zipless
The zipless ‘farmer john’. Unlike the Axis shorty, the zipless Axis offers zero restrictions when it comes to paddle performance. 2mm range keeps the best warmth around the 70’F (21’C) range while offering plenty of cool-down on much warmer waters as well.
- Zipperless design
- Performance-driven Stretch-panels
- Smoothskin armholes
- Loop it or Lose it
- Waist Tab
RIP CURL – Dawn Patrol Short John
1.5mm Short John / Back-zip
An awesome performance sleeveless shorty wetsuit, aka the short john by Billabong. The Dawn Patrol series has a ton of affordable mid-entry range wetsuits to offer while having superb qualities for that price range. Whoever has used the E5 neoprene before knows the feel and level of warmth ‘waterproofness’ this suit has to offer knows exactly that there’s no need to go any further than here!
- E5 Neoprene – easy stretch
- E-Stitch high Stretch
- Mesh skin chest & back panels
PATAGONIA – R1
Back Zip / 65°–75° F (18°–23° C) / Short john
One of the most advanced non-neoprene shorty wetsuits on the market. The R1 offers great warmth at a wide temperature range. From 65’F means that it can be great for early morning sunrise surf sessions!
- 85% Yulex (Natural rubber) – 15% synthetic rubber by polymer content
- 100% recycled polyester lining
- Fair Trade Certified™ sewn.
NRS – Little John
2mm short john / Front zip
Another great alternative to the main surf brands, NRS short john offers great value and the essential features you would expect from a shorty wetsuit!
- 2-mm Terraprene neoprene
- Flat-lock seams
- Extra-long, double-pull YKK front relief zipper
- Titanium laminate adhesive reflects heat back to your body
QUIKSILVER – Syncro
2mm / Back-zip / Suitable for 70°F – 73°F (21°C – 23°C) and over
Simple yet durable and warm enough performance surf wetsuit by Quiksilver. As it is mainly designed for surfing, it can easily be used when kayaking, jet-skiing, and so on. It does a great job protecting from the sun and keeps that little bit of warmth we all crave after some degree of exhaustion!
- 100% StretchFlight x2 neoprene
- Flatlock stitched seams
- Drainage holes