- ULTIMATE SURF WETSUIT GUIDE – A guide choosing a wetsuit for surfing. What are the differences between certain types of wetsuits? Check out the simple and easy-to-follow temperature chart before ordering your wetsuit online.
- BOOTS, HOODS, AND GLOVES – Essential wetsuit accessories to maximize your performance in the water. There’s a bunch of different types to choose from – and this article will ease the choice and when choosing wetsuit accessories.
- WOMEN’S SURFING WETSUITS – Best models reviewed by the best surf brands of today. Features and technology explained.
- YOUTH’S SURF WETSUITS – Take a look what there’s to grab from the boys and girls surfing wetsuits.
What material is a wetsuit really made of? Most used technology is a closed-cell foam neoprene, a synthetic rubber that contains small bubbles of nitrogen gas when made for use as wetsuit material. Neoprene may also be manufactured without foaming for many other applications where insulating qualities are not important.
Patagonia introduced a guayule-based wetsuit, a renewable bio-rubber that is the first alternative to traditional fossil-based neoprene.
Wetsuits also have a wide variety of stitching which also determines the final price of the wetsuit. Different types are:
The type of sealing will determine the warmth and durability of a wetsuit. The main types of sealings are: glued, taped and liquid seam.
Four main types of wetsuits:
- Scuba Diving Wetsuits – Extra warm, durable, but not very flexible in general. Med to high prices
- Swimming Wetsuits – Light, extremely flexible. Low to medium prices
- Surfing Wetsuits – Flexible and warm. Low to high prices.
- Snorkeling Wetsuits – Just a basic layer. Generally cheap.
As wetsuits are the main garments that determine the warmth and breathability of your bodies during surfing – make sure to find the best possible model for you. In order to maximize your time and effort in the water – a solid knowledge will help you there. That’s why we wrote that article. If you liked it – make sure to check out our other surf-related articles as well.